Walking can increase cardio-respiratory capacity, maximum oxygen uptake, and endurance with a low risk of injury. As well, it is simple, accessible, and inexpensive. But, can it be an effective intervention for those with chronic low back pain (CLBP)? A significant cause of activity limitation and absence from work, CLBP has also been associated with high levels of economic burden. While 90% of patients return to pre-injury activities within two months, the remaining 10% are at a high risk for developing chronic pain and disability. Current guidelines for the management of CLBP suggest staying as active as possible and even increasing levels of physical activity, as reduced mobility can cause significant decreases in quality of life and overall health status. This review (published in Disability and Rehabilitation, 2017) aimed to provide an up-to-date, specific systematic review and meta-analysis in order to determine the effectiveness of walking compared to other forms of physical exercise on pain, disability, quality of life, and fear-avoidance in patients with CLBP…LOG IN OR SUBSCRIBE TO ACCESS THE FULL REVIEW!
 
walking

Contact Tech Support  Contact Dr. Shawn Thistle
 
RRS Education on Facebook Dr. Shawn Thistle on Twitter Dr. Shawn Thistle on LinkedIn Find RRS Education on Instagram RRS Education (Research Review Service)